[nycphp-talk] Connecting to MS SharePoint

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Sat May 19 11:48:37 EDT 2007

Randal Rust wrote:
> On 5/19/07, David Krings <ramons at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> I forgot.... if there is a suitable SharePoint replacement based on
>> PHP/MySQL, that would work as well.
>
> David, I haven't looked at this enough yet [1], but I wanted to share
> it with you. I am actualy looking into the same thing. We have a
> client that is interested in SharePoint, but there are some members of
> their team that are very concerned about vendor lock and any solution
> provided by MS.
>
> [1]
> http://www.springcm.com/v2/index.php?method=lp&sub=sharepoint01&track=CPC-GOO-070501-03.002.004_CATSHPT_ConShptHelp

Thanks for the pointer, but this is a paid service. I am looking for
something that I can host myself and expand/customize as desired. We
currently use MS SharePoint in a pilot project and people like it. I may
convince management to change to a cost neutral solution if that
provides for more flexibility. Having this cost point attached to it
makes this a no go right away.

I was looking at the SharePoint theme for Drupal, but also looked
briefly at Joomla as a framework and yet have to figure out if PHPNuke
may be a framework for creating something better suited.

I need to really get some convincing points as our IT is one of these
shops that have MS-only blinkers on blindly following whatever MS claims
is the best (typically that technology, that they lambasted a few years
ago).

David