[nycphp-talk] "The Web is broken and it's all your fault."

Jon Baer jonbaer at jonbaer.com
Fri Sep 15 09:40:05 EDT 2006

I partly blame the language ... I know of alot of people who complain
about Java's strict typing/sandboxing + find it cumbersome and have
to explain its there for a good reason.

First, get rid of this stuff ... $_GET['badstuff'] and all incoming
defined variables period.  As long as it exists in the language
people will complain about security ... Im suprised there is no fork
of PHP to form a SecurePHP variant that takes this out or has strong
wrappers for it (see 3).

Second, there needs to be a way to keep your shared libs and
extensions up to date programatically w/ some type of scanner or
method.  PHP is way too flexible and dependent on the system it sits
on ... first you have PEAR libs, PECL C libs, --and-whatever-else-you-
compiled-in.

Third, all the current PHP books (ok a few exceptions) on the shelf
should be tossed out or redone, sanitize() methods should be *built*
in to PHP (or $_SANITIZE['badstuff'])... ala http://www.owasp.org/
index.php/OWASP_PHP_Filters, then republish all the books.
After you build/compile/install PHP or as soon as you create a .php
file on your PC/Mac, a window with this URL pops up ... http://
www.owasp.org/index.php/PHP_Top_5 ... in Ajax Web 2.0 style of course.

- Jon