[nycphp-talk] Learning to program the right way

Philip Camilleri philip.camilleri at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 12:58:05 EST 2012

i don't wish to start a separate discussion here, but maybe the problem
lies with the University/College education system here in the US.

I went to school in Europe (a few years back, nonetheless, when the system
was somewhat different to what it is today). But the philosophy back then
was to get a "rounded" education before getting to University -- which
meant you did all your advanced math, language, literature, history,
geography, economics, social sciences, and so on, up until you were 18. In
fact, our system was such that you specialized as you progress (i.e. 8 core
subjects at 13, then 4 core subjects at 16, and finally 1 (or 2) core
subject(s) at Uni, at 18). If one wanted to learn more about art, history
or economics one simply picked up the books or followed extra-curricular
courses.

Granted, I know this is all wishful thinking, but to hear someone say that
they have a Degree in CS, but do not know such things as source-control, or
unit-testing paradigms (or even how to log into a Unix box -- and believe
me, I have heard this one on *several* occasions while interviewing
candidates both here in the US and in the UK) is absolutely demoralizing!

Anyway, as Leam said, best of luck with your book -- it may yet become
"required reading" for developers!!