[nycphp-talk] somewhat OT Re: validating proper name capitalization

John Campbell jcampbell1 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 14:06:33 EDT 2011

> Then again, who wants such a URL for a business anyway? Nobody can type that
> letter on their keyboard and the punycode equivalent isn't really easy to
> remember or meaningful. Yes, it makes the geek in me smile, but I hardly see
> any practical purpose for this.

It is designed for people coming from other languages.  Like groupon
in china is gaopeng.com, but gaopeng is 高朋 when written as characters.
  高朋.com is http://xn--bpvz66i.com/ in puny code.

The problem with puny code is that it is a security nightmare, and no
safe browsers are ever going to support it.

Can you find the difference between http://paypal.com/ and
http://paypaḷ.com/ ?

Regards,
John Campbell