[nycphp-talk] Embedded PHP

Gary Mort garyamort at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 11:14:56 EST 2011

On 11/9/2011 11:01 AM, Cristian Baltatescu wrote:
> I always hated answers to questions like this that proposed a totally
> different solution, BUT :)
> Since you would be ok with a very basic/crippled version of php then
> why stick with it? I'm sure you can handle what you mentioned (basic
> variable manipulation and echo) in any similar scripting language
> (perl, python, ruby etc) that could already be embedded on the
> platform you end up on? The beagleboard guys mentioned nodejs for
> example. I admit i don't know anything about the one from TI you
> mentioned.

Because I love PHP and want to learn to play with circuits, not yet
another scripting language. :-)

However, if I do go that route Python actually has a good head start
there with PyMite/Python-on-a-chip:
http://code.google.com/p/python-on-a-chip/

I'm not sure at this point if the Bone actually runs Node.js, or if it
just has some weird interface to it[basically, you can write your app
over the web using Cloud 9, and then download it to the board...but does
it download node.js or does it compile it to something else?]

FYI, almost all the *Board platforms are Texas Instruments[BeagleBoard,
PandaBoard, LeopardBoard, HawkBoard] - they all utilize a different
"System on a Chip" ARM processor and are put together as reference
platforms for hobbyists/engineers.  The theory being you develop your
prototype on the board - which has all it's pinouts and extra
interfaces.  Then you figure out just what you need and design your
circuit to get rid of all the extraneous crud for mass production[and
since your using a TI chip as your processor, TI gets all the big ticket
component sales to produce the board...whether or not your product is
actually successful. :-)]