[nycphp-talk] Can Javascript call a PHP program and read the results?

David Roth davidalanroth at gmail.com
Tue May 31 16:25:26 EDT 2011

Yes, it's odd, here I am using Verizon FIOS (for the past 4 years) and
most any place on the web I go to knows I'm in the US, but the Google
JSAPI and examples by others using it I have tried say I'm in Canada.

(For those that don't think this is a real issue - Canada is like a
whole other country. :-) )

I've also looked into IP databases where they have over 3 billion IP
addresses stored and they update them. They suggest to keep them on
your own server and do a wget in the crontab to update them monthly.
I'm kind of surprised by this because I thought IP address ranges were
assigned to countries to began with, but I'm sure that's a whole other
discussion.

I wasn't familiar with the maxmind javascript service. So far it looks
very good, it correctly said I was in the US and even the correct
state. Thanks!

David Roth