[nycphp-talk] Adding indexes

Anthony W ant92083 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 11:07:07 EDT 2010

It depends on where the join is occurring.  If you have a HABTM
relationship between the join tables then a index should be added to the
pivot table.  If not then I would assume that the column you are joining
on would be a candidate for an index.  Do these tables have a PRIMARY
KEY already established?  Take for example the following tables:

/* create our habtm tags table */
CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS pictures_tags (
  picture_id int(11) NOT NULL,
  tag_id int(11) NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY  (`picture_id`,`tag_id`),
  KEY `fk_tag_id` (`tag_id`),
  KEY `fk_picture_id` (`picture_id`)
);

On the pivot table I have added two foreign key constraints for look ups
either by tag or by picture on the pivot table.  With an average load of
ten pictures per tag it loads the picture set of ten tags in about .003
seconds.  When adding indexes I never have found a magic formula to
always use.  Just look for the basics (PRIMARY KEY) and then move onto
any columns that you are joining on.

Hope this helps.