[nycphp-talk] PHP group mail list software

Gary Mort garyamort at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 10:21:43 EST 2010

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 12:04 AM, Dan Horning <dan.horning at planetnoc.com>wrote:

> if you find one - let me know - phplist has always made me cringe

I'm more looking for the group list function....ie what this mailing list
uses.

Mailman's web interface[resetting your password, archives, etc] just makes
me cringe.

I especially hate that almost every install I've seen makes you assign a
password for every mail list you are on to access your account online.  Why
should I have to set a password for NYPHP-talk AND set a password for
NYPHP-jobs ?  If it is the same email address, just let me use one password
for both.

Add to that simple things like RSS feeds are made much more difficult with
Mailman.

I want to setup a couple email lists of my own....and given a choice between
learning enough python to modify Mailman, or writing my own listserv
software in PHP I will go with PHP.  I'd just rather start with something
else and build on it than create my own.

As for PHPlist.....  well, since I am between jobs and my last job was in
managing email deliverability/campaigns using Email Service Providers....I
am currently working on writing my own one way list system utilizing EC2 to
scalibility and PHP/Swiftmail as the mail processor[yes, I am aware of the
general logic that says it is better to do email delivering with a mail
server compiled in C for performance....I feel that general logic is based
on an archaic view of servers where "throwing more hardware" at a problem
was an expensive proposition.  With Amazon's cloud services, you can throw a
virtual PC with 64G of memory and 8 virtual cores at the initial mail
campaign send of a couple of million emails for an hour for just 2 bucks,
then leave the email that can't be delivered immediately on a low priority
queue and process it with a micro instance to handle bounce back and problem
delivery for 2 cents an hour...]  Once I have it up and running I can bounce
you some links if you want to test it out[most likely I will be pay images
of everything pre-installed up on Amazon for a few cents more an hour than
they charge, while keeping all the sourcecode in github so your free to roll
your own if you wish.]

The plus of using Amazon web services is that if you grow to the point of
being worth having your own fulltime system admin team, you can migrate to
Eucalyptus and run it all in house.

-Gary