[nycphp-talk] is_readable fails on 744 directory

Néstor rotsen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 14:08:10 EDT 2009

People,

I have a directory /home/vlieu set to 754 permission and inside that
directory I have a
file with permission of 744.
drwxr-xr--  4 vlieu  www   4096 Jun  8 10:19 /home/vlieu
-rwxr--r-- 1 vlieu vlieu 1023 Jun  8 10:19 /home/vlieu/bid.csv

When accessing the bid.csv file  using a php program the function
is_readable()
fails.  I guess because the apache server runs the php file as user
'nobody'.

If I make the directory 755 (drwxr-xr-x) user nobody can read the bid.csv
file but if I make
the permissions 754 (drwxr-xr--) user nobody can not read the file.  WHY?
In a 754 permission all users still have read permissions...what am I
missing?

Thanks,

Nestor