[nycphp-talk] Learned one CMS and want to move on.

Anthony Wlodarski ant92083 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 16:35:02 EDT 2009

Oh I hope it didn't seem like I was incompetent in PHP, far from it.  Just
that every project I get is Drupal based and I want to branch out.  All I
can put on my resume is Drupal, Drupal, and more Drupal!  I worked with it
for 1.5 years.  Built about twenty custom modules.  Installed memcache a
dozen or so times.  Wrote different nodes from scratch and have figured out
the Views/Panels/Taxonomy CF.  Just that I don't want to do it anymore, it
is tiring and there are better ways to do it.  I was graced with the ability
to work with CakePHP for two weeks and was the happiest developer in the
world cause it was OOP based and made building a functioning site from
scratch easy, the the clients with Drupal all reared their ugly head and
that was the end of CakePHP for me.

-Anthony

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Brent Baisley <brenttech at gmail.com> wrote:

> Congrats, you have job security!
>
> One rarely learns all there is to know about a piece of software.
> Drupal is written in PHP, why not learn PHP? Write some plugins or
> even submit code for inclusion into Drupal.
>
> Knowing Drupal isn't going to qualify you for other projects, only
> Drupal projects. Knowing PHP will qualify you for much more.
>
> I'm actually in the opposite role you are, I know PHP and am getting
> pushed in Wordpress, Drupal and Joomla.
>
> Brent Baisley
>
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Anthony Wlodarski<ant92083 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I have been lucky/unfortunate to have acquired quite a lot of knowledge
> > about a certain CMS (Drupal).  Now although I built a pretty cool website
> > and have tackled a lot of the scalability issues I believe I have learned
> > all that I can from the software and would like to move on.  Currently I
> am
> > in a situation where our company keeps pulling in clients that are stuck
> on
> > Drupal as a buzzword but don't think about the future of their website
> and
> > the scalability of the CMS itself.  What are some recommended tactics
> when
> > it comes to dealing with superiors and the displeasure of your current
> > projects?  Also how do you keep yourself from being pigeonholed into a
> > project because you have a vast repository of knowledge on the matter?
> >
> > I feel that no matter how many times I discuss with my manager how much I
> > want to move on and learn new technology I am going to be stuck in the
> same
> > situation forever, I see new projects roll in and hope they get assigned
> > me but then I just see them float along and then I see a whole bunch of
> > To-Do's with Drupal filling in my inbox.  Is it time to find a new job?
> > --
> > Anthony W.
> > ant92083 at gmail.com

Anthony W.