[nycphp-talk] Secure email attachments suggestions

John Campbell jcampbell1 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 12:58:18 EST 2008

On Feb 6, 2008 12:06 PM, Cliff Hirsch <cliff at pinestream.com> wrote:
> On 2/6/08 11:30 AM, "John Campbell" <jcampbell1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>  I would like to send secure email attachments. Suggestions?
> >> Recommendations?
> >>
> > I think this is going to be a lost cause.  It is technically possible
> > with PGP and you will need to have the public keys for each user,
> > which will require the users to  do things that they don't comprehend.
> >  I recommend doing what the banks do... "You have a secure message.
> > Please login to your account to check the message."
>
> What if I just want it for sending log files to me? My intent was to just
> email various log files to me using cron.

Something like the following should work:

cat log_file.txt |  gpg -e -r "pgp_username" | mail -s "Daily Log file
email" your at email.com > /dev/null

You just need to install a pgp extension for your email client and
import your public key into gpg.  For fun you can even toss in a
little bit of sed, sort and uniq to make the log file more manageable
if it is really large.

Regards,
John C.