[nycphp-talk] preserving cross-domain login?

Marc Antony Vose suzerain at suzerain.com
Mon Feb 4 20:40:43 EST 2008

Hi there:

I have built a system that consists of one centralized user database,
and a few other things, that have multiple sites around the outside
connecting to it.  So, a login on one of the satellites happens
through ajax connecting to a little proxy script on the satellite that
uses curl to perform the actual login remotely.  each satellite
resides on its own domain.

This is all fine, until other people on the project request that
logins be preserved, regardless of which domain the login happened on.

I know that cookies have domain limitations, and so I'm trying to come
up with a way in my head this can work, and work efficiently and
effectively.  Anyone have any ideas?  Ever attempted something similar
in the past?

My first idea is something like that evil facebook script that updates
the feed on status with things people do at other web sites (fandango,
etc.).  I suppose if some piece of javascript in the page is loaded
remotely from the central domain, that it could look for a cookie from
the central domain, and call a PHP script that sets a session variable
on the satellite.  (The problem I have, of course, is that my login
technically occurs solely on the satellite, even though it connects to
a database remotely, so I will have to rearchitect that somehow;
perhaps forcing the entire login process to run through a JavaScript
loaded from the central server.)

Does that approach seem feasible?

Cheers,

Marc Vose