[nycphp-talk] using PHP mail function on Windows server?

mikesz at qualityadvantages.com mikesz at qualityadvantages.com
Wed Apr 23 22:47:02 EDT 2008

Hello Kristina,

Thursday, April 24, 2008, 7:28:51 AM, you wrote:

> Hi everyone --

> My current client's app is a PHP 4 site running on a Windows box (don't
> ask...I have no idea why).  I'm trying to use the mail() function and
> the mail isn't cooperating.

> (Two things that I noticed in phpinfo() are that Internal Sendmail
> Support for Windows is enabled and the Zend engine is installed.

> So maybe I could/should be using another method to send the mails, or
> there is a trick that I'm not aware of that I need to use to get this
> to work?)

> It's not necessarily super high volume but we will be sending a
> significant amount of automated emails to registered people on the site.

> Thanks for any help...

> --Kristina  (completely Uncertified in PHP and Unsure why the mail is
> not sending!)

> NYPHPCon 2006 Presentations Online
> http://www.nyphpcon.com

> http://www.eset.com

On the windows box you have to use the SMTP settings in PHP.ini AND
they need to point to your external mail server AND that external mail
server needs to not have port 25 blocked. My current ISP recently
blocked port 25 so my php mail quit working. I was using the same
access setting that I use for my POP account and it was working prior
to that, fyi. The alternative phpmailer works pretty well at least the
new one does so you might want to take a look at that to "fix" the php
mail problem on the windows box. Unfortunately, no elegant solutions
there for windows.

--
Best regards,
 mikesz                            mailto:mikesz at qualityadvantages.com