[nycphp-talk] Why IT Sucks

Tim Lieberman tim_lists at o2group.com
Thu Apr 17 15:46:42 EDT 2008

Jerry B. Altzman wrote:
> on 2008-04-17 09:18 SyAD at aol.com said the following:
>> This may have been mentioned already, but maybe the best people out
>> there are independent?
>
> From just coming off of (and still trying to) hire PHP programmers, I
> have to say that a great many resumes and interviews I've had are with
> people who aren't willing to work on-site; they want to telecommute
> 80-90% and work from their apartments in their jammies and slippers.
> Best, worst, in-between-est, I can't find someone who wants to work
> full-time.
I'm certainly one of those people, though not in New York.

At the end of the day, I just can't justify spending time on-site very
often.  I do a lot of work for a boutique development shop, and have a
desk at the office.  Recently, I've tried to go in at least twice a week
-- but it gets difficult.  I can do more, better quality, work if I'm in
a comfortable place with all my toys.  It's only about a 20 minute drive
to the office, and a pleasant one at that -- but between getting in/out
of the car and drive time, that's an hour of billable time.  I've often
fantasized about charging for travel time when someone has demanded
on-site work when I thought it was not necessary.

Why people insist on on-site work is a bit beyond me.  If you're willing
to pay well, you should be able to attract capable developers who can be
trusted to work remotely.  If you want to hire a bunch of juniors to
churn out hacks all day, and have someone supervise them, then it's
probably worth it to have them on-site.  But anyone with 5+ years solid
development experience should be allowed to work how they work best.
That way, you get the best bang for you buck, IMO.

-Tim