[nycphp-talk] OT: webmaster test

Néstor rotsen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 16:31:56 EDT 2008

This seem to be a test more for a front end person than a back end
programmer.
A lot of this stuff I have done but I do not remember it.  I think I would
fail this test
without a book around.

I went to an interview once for a Perl programmer and they gave me a test
like
this and I said I will not pass the test without my perl book.  The guy let
me use his
perl book and I pass the test.  I do not have the commands memorized but I
do
know what I need to do to get things done.  I was offered the job and I
turned it down
because I took a another job doing more C programming

I probably failed your test but I can not afford to take a pay cut (ha, ha,
ha..)

I have been doing this for several years since I stopped programming in C
and my answers are embedded.

Néstor :-)

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 7:07 AM, André Pitanga <andre at pitanga.org> wrote:

> So, we're hiring a new webmaster here at work and I was tasked with
> producing a simple technical test. The person is supposed to have two years
> experience as a web dev. There's three parts: html, css, and webmaster
> questions. What do you think?
> (bonus: I'll tell you what my manager thought)
>
> HTML
>
> 1) Which HTML attribute is used to define inline styles?
>      a) font
>      b) styles
>      c) css
>      d) text
>      e) style

I think is e

> 2) What is the correct HTML for referring to an external style sheet?
>      a) <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="mainstyle.css">
>      b) <style src="mainstyle.css">
>      c) <stylesheet>mainstyle.css</stylesheet>
>      d) <link url="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="mainstyle.css">

I will guess a

> 3) Which HTML tag is used to define an internal style sheet?
>      a) <script>
>      b) <css>
>      c) <stylesheet>
>      d) <style>

> CSS
>
> 4) Which is the correct CSS syntax?
>      a) body {color: black}
>      b) body:color=black
>      c) {body:color=black}
>      d) {body color:black}

Without looking at the book I have not idea

> 5) How does one set a border like this:
>
>   The top border = 10 pixels, The bottom border = 5 pixels, The left
> border = 20 pixels, The right border = 1pixel.
>
>      a) border-width:10px 20px 5px 1px
>      b) border-width:10px 1px 5px 20px
>      c) border-width:10px 5px 20px 1px
>      d) border-width:5px 20px 10px 1px

I remember that this is tricky because is like top bottom left right

> 6) What are the three methods for using style sheets with a web page
>      a) Dreamweaver, GoLive or FrontPage
>      b) In-Line, External or Embedded
>      c) Handcoded, Database-driven or WYSIWYG

> PROGRAMMING
>
> 7) a and b are variables.
>
>   a = 10
>   b = 20
>   a = b
>
>   The new values of a and b are, respectively:

a = b= 20

> WEBMASTER
>
> 8) What factors determine your recommended maximum home page size (in
> kilobytes)? How are the factors related?

The market that you are dealing with but the default should 800x600

> 9) Why use Flash in web development? Why not?

use flash to be fancy.  Why not?, becuase I have never used it

> 10) Why is "separation of style and content" recommended in web
> desvelopment?

Becaue is easier for human readability and to maintain