[nycphp-talk] OT: webmaster test

Guilherme Blanco guilhermeblanco at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 12:08:43 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 12:13 PM, André Pitanga <andre at pitanga.org> wrote:
> Hey Guilherme,
>

> > Too focused on CSS.
> >

>  I was hoping no one would notice that ;)
>

> > HTML is simple, and as you may see, you asked 3 questions, all of them
> > CSS related. Try something more difficult too... one example:
> >
> > <input> is a block element or an inline element?
> >

>  Yes. But what if instead of asking about a particular element,  I asked
> "What's the difference between an inline or block element? How can you
> change it via css?"?

Hm... let me try again... =P
"Too focused on CSS."

> > A single programming question and very simple one. Anyone that has a
> > minimal understand of logic is able to answer that. Put another one,
> > more complex... try 2 questions...
> >

>  Ha! One would think, no? All too easy...
>
>  well, check out what my manager said in response:
>

> > Thanks for taking care of this. Is the answer to 7 15? Hope so. If so,
> > is that too easy for a programmer?
> > Can you give us an answer sheet?
> >
>  lol

rofl

> > You should try something to be more written and programming focused
> > too. Try for example to ask for a basic task... for example, given a
> > number, return only the prime numbers.
> >

>  What's a prime number? ;)

A number that cannot by divided by any other number except 1 and itself.

For your manager... at the top of my head, a small piece of code
(written in normal algorithm form):

declare match

for i := 1 to N do
    match := 0

    for j := 1 to i do
        if i mod j = 0 then
            match := match + 1
        end if
    end for

    if match <= 2 then
        print N
    end if
end for

So, given 10 will return you:

1, 2, 3, 5, 7

> > Another good way is to do the opposite... put a piece of code and ask
> > for the applicant what does it do, what does it return given "these"
> > parameters...
> >

>  That's what I tried to do here. But with a generic syntax.

Use normal algorithm form.

> > Question 9 I'd answer:
> >
> > Why use Flash?
> > There's no need to use flash anywhere.
> > Why not?
> > Everything that is possible to be done in Flash is possible to be done
> > with the combination of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
> >

>  You're hired! ;)

Hahaha... ok, ok! =P

> > As you may see, the question is rather vague... a designer could tell
> > you Why use: Because you do not need to rely of browser
> > inconsistencies. Why not: Flash app size.
> >

>  That would be a good answer as well...
>

> > Question 10 is ok.
> >

>  WIN!

My last job appliance I had 8h to write a full working application of
an address book, with an employee at my side looking at any line I was
writing.
Ah... I had the possibility to use anything I wanted.
The data source was an XML file, no app spec, at least 2 views (table
of all cards and cards view).
The test analised comment ratio, oo level and usability.

You hsould try something like that too.... =)

--
Guilherme Blanco - Web Developer
CBC - Certified Bindows Consultant
MSN: guilhermeblanco at hotmail.com