[nycphp-talk] Website Data Encryption tools

Dan Cech dcech at phpwerx.net
Sun Apr 6 10:43:51 EDT 2008

Joe Leo wrote:
> I am trying to research about using website/data encryption methods or
> approaches out there. Any tools that allows the web site data & db to be
> encrypted. I've read about HTML protector (www.html-protector.com) - Anyone
> use this type of tool?
> What are the open source tools that can do this - if any? What are the
> performance considerations? And, how would this type
> of encrytion affect search engine rankings?

Joe,

This is a fools errand, in order for a web browser to display your page
it must be able to download the html and assets (images, css, etc).

I took a quick look at 'html-protector' and was less than impressed.
The 'protection' consists of using javascript to write the page from an
obfuscated string.  The 'password prompt' is javascript also, and the
password is present in the source.

The cost of all this 'security'? The page is invisible to search engines
and won't work at all for people with javascript disabled.

If you want to obfuscate your html you can certainly make it (slightly)
more difficult for people to 'Save Page As...', but the html is always
going to be out there.

Dan