[nycphp-talk] [OT] Book search: The best DIV/CSS book?

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Mon Oct 22 14:25:47 EDT 2007

Ben Sgro (ProjectSkyLine) ben-at-projectskyline.com |nyphp dev/internal
group use| wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I still used table based layouts. I try to remove all my style
> attributes and place them in .css files.
> However, I still haven't made the jump from table to div based layouts.
>
> I've looked at a few books, but haven't found one that really drove
> the point home.
> I have no formal HTML experiance, I just write it to get stuff done.
> So, can anyone
> recommend a great book for div/css?
>
> Good websites are fine too, but the lack of depth in most online
> articles/whitepapers
> about the topic leaves me wanting more.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Ben
>
> Ben Sgro, President
> ProjectSkyLine - Defining New Horizons
> +1 718.487.9368 (N.Y. Office)

Ben,

If you're productive and just looking to move over to div layouts, I
suggest you query the "CSS Box model" and study that concept first. It's
the math behind page layout using divs, and IMHO you need it first in
order to be productive no matter how you approach CSS for layout. There
are two "box models" described on the web: the CSS box model for HTML
elements, and the concept of page layout as a series of nested "boxes".

Layout the page box model properly, and everything else seems to flow
logically and comfortably. Not completely clear on the box model, and
everything can seem like a P.I.T.A.

This is a very good article on the box model behind CSS, but scan all
the pages  http://www.brainjar.com/css/positioning/
Visual people like this simple demo for the HTML element box model
concept. http://redmelon.net/tstme/box_model/
and I like to go here for page layouts according to box model (page
level) http://glish.com/css/
but they are not the latest. For the latest, as always you go to the CSS
lists.

Hope that helps.

-=john

Your web server traffic log file is the most important source of web business information available. Do you know where your logs are right now? Do you know who else has access to your log files? When they were last archived? Where those archives are? --John Andrews Competitive Webmaster and SEO Blogging at http://www.johnon.com