[nycphp-talk] GoogleMapAPI

Steve Manes smanes at magpie.com
Thu Nov 15 09:50:15 EST 2007

Gary Mort wrote:
> Steve Manes wrote:
>> I could as well but I don't like mucking with third-party libraries or
>> APIs.  Murphy's Law says that after I turn this software over to the
>> client someone will download an updated API six months from now and
>> lose the fixes.
>
> Why not extend it and submit the patches back.  Than if their accepted
> and then the thing is downloaded again in 4 months, your changes are in
> the codebase.

Maybe later.  At the moment, I'm under the gun to get the transportation
component built for a medical referral application.  Using Google's
native API is the quickest route (pun unintended) for that.  I completed
most of the maps stuff last night and I know that when they see it the
client will probably request yet more functionality that's not in that
PHP API.