[nycphp-talk] Web hosting.

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Tue Dec 25 17:31:33 EST 2007

Michael Hernandez sequethin-at-gmail.com |nyphp dev/internal group use|
wrote:

> you can also check dreamhost (who's affiliate program I am a member
> of), they have a nice way of setting up users and managing bandwidth
> and space for accounts which is great for reselling. you can also
> choose between php 4 and 5, and there are other niceties. Caveat -
> there are some issues though (check http://www.dreamhoststatus.com).
>
> for the price I find it's worth it, and I basically post this same
> email every time someone asks for hosting options ;)
>
> good luck in your choice,
>
> --Mike H

Something to understand about Dreamhost... they are Extremely efficient
at their operations. That's Extremely with a capital "E". They will do
just about anything to gain efficiencies... and you will notice that
alot. The trick is to work with it to your advantage.

Got low traffic? They will give you low bandwidth. Got big traffic? Ask
for it and they give you appropriate servers/services. Forget to ask (or
if they don't notice themselves) and your site will not serve its users
very well. If you have a stable site, Dreamhost can be a dream. If you
have a fluctuating site, you are likely to be very frustrated *unless*
you communicate with them about your performance and expectations, in
which case it can still be very good and extremely good when factoring
in the cost.

Lots more can be said, but probably OT for this forum.

-=john