[nycphp-talk] php framework

Nate Abele nate at cakephp.org
Wed Nov 8 12:47:44 EST 2006

Sean, don't look at that graphic.  It is horribly outdated, and the
author of the corresponding article barely did a shred of research
before publishing it.  The article and the graphic have been updated
a few times to correct some of the initial mistakes, but you can read
the comments here http://www.phpit.net/article/ten-different-php-
frameworks/ to see how many times the author had to be corrected.

As far as actually choosing a framework, others can provide you with
information, but the decision should be based on your needs.  On one
end of the spectrum, you have the Andromeda framework, which, as Ken
says, is more of an "un-framework", and it's great for all kinds of
heavy-hitting business applications.  On the other end, you have a
framework like CodeIgniter, which is easy to learn and get up and
running with quickly.  It doesn't do everything for you, but it also
has probably the shortest learning curve of any major PHP framework.

Between those two is (my framework : ) CakePHP.  Cake is well-suited
to doing all kinds of web applications.  It provides structure to
organize your code, and will handle a lot of things automatically,
while still allowing you to take control where you want to.
Hopefully that's helpful.  Granted I'm a little biased : )

-Nate