[nycphp-talk] Drag Drop Uploads & Progress Bars

Rick Olson rolson at aeso.org
Tue Aug 22 12:46:58 EDT 2006

There was recently a topic about this started on the php.internals
newsgroup.  For lack of a better way to link to the topics, (I'm aware
of news.php.net, but it's not threaded and I don't have the time to link
to all emails in the thread), I'll summarize a few snippets here.

We do a "web 2.0" type upload, and show a spinner. When the file is
large or the connection slow, people sometimes abort thinking that
there was a problem. I'd like to show a progress bar. Is this possible
yet? Which version? I can't use perl on these servers (PHP only), so
I'm SOL. I've used a patch before, but a client does not want to use a
hacked up PHP on production servers.
--

-- response from Rasmus --
The patch to support this is in PHP 5.2 CVS now.

 >Unknown W. Brackets wrote:
 >How is that?  You can't get any feedback from PHP (except, now, by
installing/writing an extension) about how far along the upload is - no
 >matter how much JavaScript you use.  And the browser won't tell you.
 >
 >Some people have scanned the /tmp directory for possible PHP uploads,
but this obviously doesn't work even a bit for concurrent users.

So basically, as of 5.2 there will theoretically be a way to get
feedback on file uploads from PHP, although it may still require another
extension.

HTH

Rick