[nycphp-talk] [OT] - NYC Salaries

Fee, Patrick J (US SSA) patrick.fee at baesystems.com
Thu Aug 3 13:58:02 EDT 2006

IMHO, you've go to balance cost of living with length of drive.  I work
in DC.  But because I chose to move to the Eastern Shore of Maryland
(past Annapolis and over the Chesapeake Bridge), I have a much better
cost of living there.   Plus, I live where others vacation!  The
downside:  1.5 hour drives each way (or a 2.25 hour bus/subway/bus
commute).

Figure out what you are worth, how much time you can be away from the
family each day, what amount of telecommuting is allowed with the
position, and if you can get anything done WHILE you commute (by train
or bus).  For example, if you can telecommute one day a week (20%), and
a 1.5 hour commute allows for an hour of solid work on the laptop each
way, the extra distance might buy you a better cost of living farther
out.

The last time I took the Acela Express (The high speed Amtrak from DC to
Boston), I saw NYC commuters getting on in Wilmington Del., and Philly
to go to downtown Gotham.  Leave Wilmington DE and arrive in downtown
NYC 90 minutes later.  That's extreme.... But it would work.

Too extreme?

Patrick J. Fee
IT Software Analysis Solutions Group Manager
Tel: (301) 231-1418
Cel: (240) 401-6820

Fax: (301) 231-2635
Patrick.Fee at BAESystems.com <mailto:Patrick.Fee at BAESystems.com>

Endless Loop: n., see Loop, Endless.
Loop, Endless: n., see Endless Loop.
                -- Random Shack Data Processing Dictionary

  _____