[nycphp-talk] [OT] - NYC Salaries

Tom Melendez tom at supertom.com
Thu Aug 3 13:08:05 EDT 2006

On 8/3/06, Joseph Crawford <codebowl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Chris,
>
> I appreciate your feedback, i doubt we would drive that often, maybe the
> family would take the car out for the day and go to ellis island, yada yada.
>  The normal touristy things until they were there for a while :D

So, you'll probably need a garage for that car to take out.  A couple
of years ago we paid $120 per month for that in Flushing.  Of course,
you could always hunt for a spot and move your car every morning, but
that sucks.

> so do you think that salary would work for my family?  I would be the only
> one working as she is pregnant and with 2 kids and one on the way daycare
> would probably cost more than she would get from working.

My son goes to daycare twice a week.  I researched a bunch of places,
and the average was about $60 per day (that would be per child). Of
course, there were plenty of higher-end places, and plenty of private
parties (BE CAREFUL) who may do it for less.  That price was for Long
Island, though, so maybe figure $10 more for the city (although I
admit I don't know).

You also can't forget such small things as *saving*.  If you don't
have any money left over at the end of the month, you're just treading
water.

I don't live in the city (LIPHP!), but I think you would have a hard
time making that work on Long Island.

Good Luck!

Tom
http://www.liphp.org