[nycphp-talk] PHP vs. new ASP.NET 2.0

Mon Nov 28 11:31:37 EST 2005

Susan Shemin wrote:
> Hey, guys, nice to hear your responses.  However, there's always 2 sides
> to an argument, and I do not agree with you.

Actually, I was doing .Net development in C# for most of last year along
with some classic ASP.  Prior to that, I was a Java guy for a few years
while learning a bit of PHP.  Since then, I've been about 70/30 Java and
PHP, so I have a pretty good feel for most of those.

Anyway, the thing that got me about .Net development vs the Java and PHP
development was the availability of components.  The .Net communities
had lots of components available, but the vast majority of them were
compiled-only and exclusively commercial.  This is great for corporate
developers who have the budget and developers who don't need to consider
the underlying architecture and/or quality of the code, but I have
rarely been in that position.  Some of the code was probably great, but
I couldn't tell you.

 From the PHP perspective (and especially Java) there are libraries to
do just about anything you need and sometimes the array of options are
simply dizzying.  The sense of collaboration is leaps and bounds beyond
where .Net is in terms of available components, discussions, and general
community.

Cool tools are great, but that's only one facet of development.

My 0.02,
keith

--
D. Keith Casey Jr.