[nycphp-talk] securing a file w/ htaccess?

billy reisinger billy.reisinger at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 11:21:23 EST 2005

> If you are concerned about someone reading the source code, using it for
> their own purposes or finding out some super secret proprietary business
> info then it shouldn't be done client side.  Do it server side.
>
> HTH,
> Andrew

That's a very good point.  I've been asked to implement a  "suggest"
feature (ala Google) while avoiding increased client/server traffic.
I could use XMLHttpRequest to fetch only that data that I need from
the server.  The problem with that, again, is the added server load it
would cause.  But you're right, in this case it's probably best to do
the searching on the server side, and that's what I'll have to
"suggest" to the boss.

Cheers,
Billy Reisinger