[nycphp-talk] building an 1-way email list manager

David Mintz dmintz at davidmintz.org
Tue Nov 15 10:21:54 EST 2005

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, Alberto dos Santos wrote:

> What we don't have, and very much would like to have, is a way to
> automaticaly monitor if the emails have been received or bounced back,
> and remove the bouncers from the send list so, if you should come to a
> script that is capable of handling this volume and does what you need
> (and what we need too) we are candidates to take a deep look at it and
> implement a similar solution at evangelizo.org.

My unoriginal thought is to set return-path to something like
bounce-handler at example.org and set a procmail (or equivalent) recipe to
pipe anything sent to bounce-handler to a php script that parses out who
the intended recipient was, deems it a bounce and acts accordingly.  The
gotcha here, according to my rigorously scientific thought experiments, is
that if someone at elsewhere.org deliberately sent mail to
bounce-handler at example.org, the former would be considered a bounce --
unless your bounce-handler worked really hard to figure out if and why the
incoming message bounced. Ah, the joy of reinventing the wheel.

---
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/