[nycphp-talk] XML-RPC question

csnyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 11:27:16 EST 2005

On 11/9/05, leegold <leegold at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> The catch seems to be security cause all this is passed around w/http
> ie. as a web-service. So my question is, what would be a way protecting
> the laptop from any unauthorized outside requests eg. the laptop only
> talks to the server (or an appointed box) on the local network.

Interesting idea. If I understand correctly, you should probably use a
combination of NAT/Firewall (that you likely already have in place) to
block external port 80 requests to your laptop, and a global Apache
Allow directive, to ensure that your laptop only accepts requests from
the server's IP address.

See http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_access.html#allow

--
Chris Snyder