[nycphp-talk] [OT] recommendations re credit cards/merchant accounts?

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Wed Nov 9 01:49:32 EST 2005

I really think it is a question for a CPA at that organization (or the
one taking on that responsibility).

If a non-profit is "used"  to generate profits for someone, that can be
illegal and can jeopardize the non-profit status  (I believe the legal
term is inurement). If a non-profit loses its status thusly, it may be
retroactively converted to a for-profit entity, which means
back-taxes-plus-penalties-and-interest  as far back as the creation date
(ouch!).

We can discuss all we like here but the real important stuff will be
decided at the "corporate"level within each particular entity, based on
their own comfort levels, risk management, accounting practices, state, etc.

I believe the law permits individuals to accept "donations" via PayPal
as you describe... something changed  a few years ago in that area.... I
am not a lawyer nor a CPA so this advice may be worth slightly less than
the price you paid for it.