[nycphp-talk] Mbstring

Joshua S. Freeman jfreeman at nybg.org
Fri Mar 11 15:30:04 EST 2005

Question:

We recently upgraded PHP on an internal server to 5.0.3 and we're seeing
some odd stuff with regards to strings.

PhpSupport doesn't really mention anything useful.

But phpMyAdmin throws this:

The mbstring PHP extension was not found and you seem to be using multibyte
charset. Without mbstring extension phpMyAdmin is unable to split strings
correctly and it may result in unexpected results.

Php.ini sez this:

[mbstring]
; language for internal character representation.
;mbstring.language = Japanese

; internal/script encoding.
; Some encoding cannot work as internal encoding.
; (e.g. SJIS, BIG5, ISO-2022-*)
;mbstring.internal_encoding = EUC-JP

; http input encoding.
;mbstring.http_input = auto

; http output encoding. mb_output_handler must be
; registered as output buffer to function
;mbstring.http_output = SJIS

; enable automatic encoding translation accoding to
; mbstring.internal_encoding setting. Input chars are
; converted to internal encoding by setting this to On.
; Note: Do _not_ use automatic encoding translation for
;       portable libs/applications.
;mbstring.encoding_translation = Off

; automatic encoding detection order.
; auto means
;mbstring.detect_order = auto

; substitute_character used when character cannot be converted
; one from another
;mbstring.substitute_character = none;

; overload(replace) single byte functions by mbstring functions.
; mail(), ereg(), etc are overloaded by mb_send_mail(), mb_ereg(),
; etc. Possible values are 0,1,2,4 or combination of them.
; For example, 7 for overload everything.
; 0: No overload
; 1: Overload mail() function
; 2: Overload str*() functions
; 4: Overload ereg*() functions
;mbstring.func_overload = 0

I know I'm moving in the right direction but I'm not sure what needs to be
uncommented (and then httpd needs to be cycled)...

Does anyone have prior experience they can share which will lead me to
uncomment the right thing and NOT uncomment the WRONG thing?

TIA,

J.

--

COMPUTER HELPDESK (when inside the Garden): http://helpdesk.nybg.org/
Joshua S. Freeman

intended for a specific individual/group of individuals and a specific
purpose, and is protected by law.  If you are not an intended recipient, you
should delete this message.  Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of
this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly
prohibited.