[nycphp-talk] Re: MySQL Case Study - Stanford Graduate School of Business (avail. at HBR Online)

Adam Fields fields at hedge.net
Tue Mar 1 13:59:23 EST 2005

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 01:47:56PM -0500, Faber Fedor wrote:
> On 01/03/05 12:40 -0500, Adam Fields wrote:
> > It can be made to scale >very< well with the right attention to
> > architecture, configuration, and usage.
>
> Got any references on that?

What kind of metrics are interesting to you?

I usually measure this informally as "can the database/app combination
serve all of the users of the application without unreasonable delays
or bottlenecks?" - and that depends on the application. Sometimes this
means individual query performance, sometimes it means number of
simultaneous connections, sometimes it means raw throughput.

I've actually just recently decided to offer a discrete MySQL
optimization analysis package in my consulting practice, and I'd be
curious to know what you'd find interesting in a case study.

--
				- Adam

-----
** My new project --> http://www.visiognomy.com/diagrams