[nycphp-talk] Zend PHP Certification

Tim Gales tgales at tgaconnect.com
Fri Jun 18 11:08:18 EDT 2004

Chris Snyder writes:

> How do people feel about "official" certification as a qualified PHP
> programmer?

Thies Arntzen once said:
"I could teach PHP to a monkey, if I had enough bananas."

One of the main advantages of PHP is that it
is a small and 'intellectually manageable' language.

You can get a pretty good grasp of PHP, the language,
in an afternoon -- if you come from another programming
discipline (C++, Java, etc.)

But PHP doesn't operate in a vacuum --
it works together with an operating system,
a web server, and more often than not with
a database (and that's not including permutations
with PHP as a CLI)

When it operates like this PHP is much more
than a language. When PHP works with the other
components, it becomes a framework.

That's why at NYPHP we have this concept of
'AMP' (Apache MySQL PHP) training -- i.e.
PHP doesn't operate in a vacuum.

To digress for a moment, this would probably be
a lot clearer if someone (me) had done a
better job explaining the training on the
pages of NYPHP's website.

(I could use some help here. I invite all
interested parties to drop a line to:

Michael Southwell
VP, Education Department
NYPHP
michael.southwell at nyphp.org

and request membership to the Education
Department mailing list.

This is a golden opportunity to help shape
not just the web pages at NYPHP -- but
to work together on forging the future curriculum
at NYPHP.

Since I am digressing, let me also say
you don't have to have an advanced degree in
education or be a PHP guru to help.

Everybody on this list has an area of
expertise, which can greatly help our
effort -- so please consider this:
You can make a *BIG* difference in the PHP
community and help it to grow, if you decide
that is something you want)

Back to the original topic (PHP certification),
what is meant by PHP certification?

If it means you know the language, then
it strikes me that it wouldn't be to
valuable (that is, of course, if you take it
as a given that you could learn the language
in an afternoon).

Now if PHP certification means that you know
all that stuff (the twelve chapters) which
was included in the post about Zend
certification, then I have some thoughts on that.

One, it seems to ambitious.
I don't see how you could cover all that
ground in even a hundred questions on an
exam -- of course I haven't seen the book
or the test, so perhaps I am just badly
informed here -- much less seventy questions.

Two, it seems uneven.
It might be better to have a volume on
PHP with databases, and a volume about
PHP with XML -- instead of all in one
book.

Basically, the NYPHP focus is going to
be on AMP certifications (and even there, that
might be too broad -- i.e. perhaps it should
be broken into WAMP, XAMP, and LAMP)

If you don't agree, join the Education
Department. We work by consensus --
your voice will be heard.

T. Gales & Associates
'Helping People Connect with Technology'

http://www.tgaconnect.com