[nycphp-talk] DB Differences

Mark Armendariz nyphp at enobrev.com
Fri Jun 18 10:40:11 EDT 2004

>On Behalf Of inforequest
 > - they will not listen to your reasons for changing the
> Access database at this time.
> - they will not learn "in real time" from your own database
> design/work
> - they *will* likely change their own schema at some point
> (because they will learn and improve - and while it may be an
> improvement, it will not match yours)
---
> So if these are likely, you really need to abstract your
> interface to their data and make a clear specification for
> what they will have to provide to you for updates.

>On Behalf Of Mitch Pirtle
> It may be more important to have error checking and controls
> in place to ensure that your application does not fall prey
> to the "garbage in, garbage out" disease.  This would also
> give you the insurance that having a separate schema for your
> app will not cause discomfort with the original application,
> as you now have the chance to do some data transformation.

More incredible points.  This whole thread has opened my eyes quite a bit to
the politics of application synching in general, as to ensuring all changes
are planned, spec'd and a process is put into writing ensuring both data
structures will continue to work together through future maintenance on both
ends.

I've always put a great deal of time into planning and ensuring everything's
signed off on before my first '<?php' is typed, but mostly as a means of
ensuring an avoidance of scope creep and miscommunication.  Gotta love some
good perspective.

You're all kings, and +1 beer for the lot of ya (I mean it, be sure to hold
me to it).

Mark