[nycphp-talk] (no subject) (SimpleXML)

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Wed Jan 21 11:05:06 EST 2004

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, David Sklar wrote:

> Tim wrote:
> > When I read this I sort of translated it in my mind to read: "Due to
> > popular demand I allowed non-orthogonal features
> > to creep into SimpleXML causing bloat and making it -- well not
> > simple."

s/Due to popular demand/Due to not paying attention/ :)

> I think many of those features actually make SimpleXML *simpler* -- to the
> non-xpath initiate, is $document->children() simpler or is
> $document->xpath('/child::node()') simpler?

I think it's a question whether/how SimpleXML should provide
introspection capabilities. If you know the document's schema, there's
no need for either because you can do $document->foo instead which is
simpler than either choice.

If you do want to maneuver through an arbitrary document, I think DOM
or SimpleXML/XPath is the way to go.

> Agree? Disagree? Come congratulate/argue with me today at LinuxWorld!

See you there, punk!

-adam

adam at trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's php cookbook
avoid the holiday rush, buy your copy today!