[nycphp-talk] Connecting to MySQL on host questions

Keith J Richardson Keith.Richardson at thompsonhealth.com
Wed Jan 14 08:12:10 EST 2004

If you need to run a mysql connection from a different machine than the localhost, you can add the ips and/or hostnames to the usernames to connect to mysql. You can say that user test/test can only connect from localhost, or from any host, or from your host, and then give them permissions that way. I have noticed that if you give access to some hosts, it maybe will say its connecting from another server, say the IP, the hostname, the hostname with a subdomain off of it, so to find out why you arent connecting, when you die() after the connect, use  die(mysql_error()) - and it will display the proper error. I tried to connect from our intranet server to my win2k desktop that is running mysql, and mysql_error() puts out Access denied for user: 'root at 172.17.1.11' (Using password: YES) - so you know that you have to allow that user access from the host 172.17.1.11 - now if it was a machine with a FQDN, the domain name would probabally show up there.