[nycphp-talk] PHundamentals Topic #4: php.ini settings

John Lacey jlacey at att.net
Thu Nov 20 18:01:26 EST 2003

Hans Zaunere wrote:

> John Lacey wrote:
>
>> It is best to code with the short_open tags set to "Off", and use
>> <?php in all cases, but again, if using someone else's code, they may
>> have to remain on.  This option will be defaulted to "Off" in a future
>> release, I believe.
>

> This one slipped past my previous post.  I agree that always using long
> opening tags are the way to go, but turning this to off prevents
> sexiness like this:
>
> <li><?=$somevar?></li>

You might have also missed Chris Shiflett's response re: the defaulted
off statement.  (I had to check the correct spelling of his last name on
his book I bought with my hard-earned money I had set aside for my cat's
birthday present :)

anyhoo, Chris [rightly] took me to task about it and said that they
vetoed that idea in more rarified circles.  This list is good practice
for forcing me to think about making statements like that.