[nycphp-talk] PHP dominance on websites (Information Week article)

Hans Zaunere hans at nyphp.org
Thu Nov 13 16:01:15 EST 2003

Tim Gales wrote:

> Jon Baer wrote:
>
>>yeah but if you look a large majority of jobs *still* call
>>for MS .Net/c# and Java which is what i don't get, is there
>>that big of a non published defection?
>

> Well what I don't get is why so many programmers (and hence the bosses who
> do the hiring and firing) become 'enraptured' (as in 'rapture of the
> deep') with Java. Perhaps given that it is only prudent to look and see

Simply put, marketing.  When involved with Open Source, it's easy to forget "everyone else."  That is to say, it's a big world, and frankly most people don't *know* computer technology except for what is delivered to them in semi-technical trade magazines, tv, and those ads on the top of taxis. [1]

Sun and Microsoft have more marketing muscle than all of Open Source; even Linux.  It's not until IBM got on board, and floated $1 billion, that Linux was even known outside tech-heavy sectors.  And it still has a long way to go.  While it's beginning to become a buzzword (which has it's own pros-and-cons) and pushed heavily on TV, the old boys of technology don't move that fast; even in an industry that moves faster than any other.  Ironic.

[1]  I bring up taxi ads because I still remember the day I saw a Penguin on a cab's roof and was dumbfounded.