[nycphp-talk] MySQL and spaces in data

Jim Hendricks jim at bizcomputinginc.com
Thu Jun 19 20:45:42 EDT 2003

Sounds to me you have the perfect situation to make lots of money!

While it may be a real PITN to work with data that horribly structured, it
does mean that everything you do will take 3-4 times as long to write and
will be very prone to bugs.  Any time I have a client force me into a poor
design decision, I document the hell out of it so that every time the client
complains how long it takes me to do XY & Z, or how many anomolies are in
the program, I gently remind them that if they had agreed to proper design
from the start they would get faster development times, better performing
applications, and relatively bug free code.  When a client hears that
message enough times in answer to their complaints, they either stop
complaining, stop development, or take it in the wallet and go for a
redesign so that the wallet doesn't hurt so much in the future.

It's sort of like I used to love working with Oracle databases because they
were so complicated and poorly documented.  It's not that I loved the work
so much as I loved getting the money caused by Oracles complexity!

Jim
Jim Hendricks, President, Biz Computing, Inc
Phone:  (201) 599-9380     Email: jim at bizcomputinginc.com
Web: www.bizcomputinginc.com
Snail:  Jim Hendricks,  Biz Computing, Inc.,  255 McKinley Ave, New Milford,
NJ 07646