[joomla] Two useful links for backing up your cPanel site

Geoffrey Schaller gjschaller at psi-13.com
Tue Sep 25 15:49:47 EDT 2012

This isn't directly related to Joomla, but is handy for anyone who wants to
do an automated backup of their server / site / cPanel account.

The first is a command / script that runs a complete backup of your cPanel
account, and sends it to a remote location.  While working with a cPanel
dump is not pretty / fun, it's good to have in case something happens to
your hosting provider, and they lose your account / shut down / etc. (i.e.
- you can't trust them, and you need to restore to another provider from a
recent backup).  NOT ALL PROVIDERS enable the backup function - BlueHost
does not, for example - since it makes it easy to migrate away from them.
 Check with your hosting provider to see if they allow full cPanel backups.
 I run this once a week for each cPanel account, and have it FTP the files
down to a storage device at my home (since it's "off-site" for my host, and
they are all personal sites).

http://www.justin-cook.com/wp/2006/12/27/automatic-cpanel-backup-domain-mysql-with-cron-php/

+++

The second is a script that dumps a copy of your mySQL databases, and sends
them to a remote location (email, FTP, etc.).  It will even clean up after
itself, so you only keep the past 4 days, etc.  This one, I run nightly,
and it FTPs the files to my storage device at home again.  If I need to do
a restore, the worst I lose is 24 hours worth of content.

http://www.ameir.net/blog/archives/48-MySQL-Backup-to-FTP-and-Email-Shell-Script-for-Cron-v2.2.html

+++

For my home storage solution, I use a ReadyNAS
<http://www.readynas.com>device - they come in home use models, as
well as professional models that
mount in a rack in a datacenter.  They're designed to just store a large
amount of data in a very friendly way, and serve it up with several methods
(local network browsing, FTP, Web Interface, etc.).

--
Geoffrey Schaller
gjschaller at psi-13.com