[joomla] several 1.0 sites hacked this week!

Leam Hall leam at reuel.net
Fri Mar 27 06:42:45 EDT 2009

PR9?

Keep in mind that FTP passwords were sent in clear text so some of the
info might have been snooped. Also, some unix versions have an 8
character password maximum length. If your punctuation came in chars 9
or 10 it might not have been there. If the host was not using shadow
passwords the /etc/passwd file might have had encrypted passwords and be
readable by another user on the system.

Turning off FTP is a great idea, as is using something like SFTP or vsftp.

Leam